Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Today's Reflection: Interview Series Part #1 with Nick Wendell

Following each segment of my interview series, I'll be reflecting on the words of advice from my distinguished interviewees. My goal is to figure out what the future holds for me, so I'm hoping to gain some direction from these fabulous role models.

3 Highlights from Nick's Interview


1. Student involvement experiences can shape you and teach you the value of teamwork.
So, how have my student leadership experiences shaped me as a member of a team? Overall, I think I have learned that it takes individuals with many diverse talents for a team to function most effectively. Working in a student leadership role taught me to seek out the unique strengths of my peers and to go to them for advice in areas that I don't necessarily excel in. In future careers, I will be surrounded by co-workers who have had a vast array of experiences. It will be necessary to seek input from my co-workers. My student leadership experiences have taught me the value of team interactions.

2. Student leaders have already proven themselves.
Nick reminded me of the fact that gaining student leadership experiences is a competitive process in itself! Students who have been involved have had many experiences that other students entering the workforce with a fresh degree lack. I hope to gain the talent of reflecting on skill sets I have gained from my unique leadership experiences and highlighting how those skill sets can be applied in the workforce.

3. Network, network, network!
I'd be willing to bet you've heard the saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know." Instead of resenting the validity in these words, why not embrace them? I think the success of young professionals depends on their ability to form valuable relationships. The first step in doing this is understanding and respecting co-workers and peers, whether or not you agree with their working styles. You never know where your peers will end up in the future or how they may be able assist you professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment