Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Today I accepted my first job...

This afternoon I accepted my first job, a Research Coordinator Position with the National Children's Study through the Brookings, Yellow Medicine, Pipestone, and Lincoln Study Location at South Dakota State University. I was hired as a Spanish-speaking team member who will have the capability to work with Hispanic participants in the study.

To learn more about the study, check out this link: National Children's Study Informational Video

My Response to Being Employed


Whoa! A College Education Actually Works?
When I graduated a little over a month ago, I really didn't think I'd be doing anything that utilized either of my majors. I had applied to the position at the National Children's Study thinking it would be a long shot. Contrary to my original belief, I will be using both my Spanish and Biology backgrounds and doing research that will be incredibly important to the health of future generations of children. I feel extremely lucky to be part of the study.

No Way! I'm Working in Brookings?
During the Spring of my senior year of high school, I would have told you that I had full intentions to attend any university other than SDSU. I thought college was for getting away, experiencing new things, and meeting new people. None of these things, I falsely assumed, would be possible by attending a university near home. It didn't take me four years (in fact it didn't even take me one) to realize that I was utterly wrong. I have never regretted attending SDSU. I feel that I got a solid education and irreplaceable experiences as a Jackrabbit; however, a month ago I would have told you I was nearly as certain as I was during my final months of high school that I would soon be leaving this town I have grown to love so much. In other words, I would not have hesitated to leave should a job opportunity in another city or area of the country have come about. I should have learned by now to never say never.
The fact is, I am excited about entering the workforce in Brookings. I am blessed with great network of family, friends, and professionals in this area who support me and who will be extremely beneficial in helping me make the transition to a new career successfully. Secondly, Brookings is one of the least affected counties in the nation by the recent economic struggles. Don't believe me? Check out this article: 20 Most Stressed, 20 Least Stressed Counties I'm not going to complain about this awesome statistic! Lastly, I have the amazing opportunity to be part of a study that will be conducted simultaneously in about 100 other locations nationwide. I believe the results from the National Children's Study will have a global impact. Jackrabbits and Brookings residents alike should feel proud to have a study center in our community, a community which I am personally proud to be a part of!

God is Good!
It's no secret that our country and many families worldwide are experiencing tough times in the face of economic adversity. I feel blessed to be employed, and thank God for giving me great opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment